Monday, March 13, 2017

That is just what family does





"That is just what family does," I told my mother in law.

"Not every family."

How true.  And how sad.

My family - from all sides - is going through crisis after crisis right now.  My brother's situation.  My daughter may need a 4th ankle surgery.  My in-laws.  We are being hit from every which way.

But we have a family that all steps up to the plate.  My eldest daughter, pregnant with twins, brought grandma her new clothes.  My second daughter baked cookies and brownies as a thank you to the nursing staff.  My husband spent the day taking care of his parents while I spent the day, along with my sister, taking care of my brother's issues.  Sunday found many of us -my son, his wife, my husband and myself, a nephew and a niece, Rod's brother -  all gathered at the rehab facility, visiting. Grandma was in her glory.

We all do our part.

"This is what family does."
"Not all families."

OK.  Fine. This is what OUR family does."

Thank you Two Writing Teachers for allowing me share this slice of my life.


3 comments:

  1. That IS what good families do. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Families have their own norms, expectations, or rules. I love that my 5 year old great niece last week said, "When I get old and have kids, I will come visit you."

    Granted there were two aunts and an uncle around the table so we aren't quite sure WHO she is going to visit. However, we know that she is crystal clear about what family does!

    CELEBRATE! Love that THIS is what your family does!

    franmcveigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are blessed to belong to a family like that. Many people don't!

    ReplyDelete