Monday, March 20, 2017

Keep Going


This is my first year to participate in the Slice of Life Challenge. I thought about it in other years but never really took the plunge.  I must admit, I have missed two so far.

One night, I got home after another 15 hour day and was simply so tired I just crawled into bed.  As I curled up, I remembered I hadn't sliced yet and thought, "I am going to just miss this one."  I gave myself permission to skip.

Last night, I forgot to slice too.  I woke up early and worked quietly on lesson plans and grading in the hotel room, while my son slept in.  Then we started our day. I wanted to go to The Strand, because I always go to The Strand when I'm in New York.  I bought The Love U Hate; I am forcing myself to wait and read it this summer with a girl I tutor.   Then we went to Stephen's old job so he could see some friends.  

By the time we got him it was early evening and I simply had forgotten. 

But, twenty days in, I am starting to lag.  I am wondering if I have enough to say.  I am questioning my purpose in this endeavor.

I imagine that is how our students feel at time.  Why am I doing this?  What is the point?  Weariness - of the body and the soul -  can be debilitating.

I know why I slice.  I believe that, to be a better teacher of writing, I need to write myself.  However, this year, I don't teach writing - just reading.  So - again - why am I doing this?

Maybe to be a part of a community? I do enjoy reading others posts.  I enjoy reading the comments left on mine. I feel connected when I realize I am not the only teacher that wants nothing more than a quiet Friday night in front of the TV after a busy week.

Purpose.

It's important that we understand the why behind what we do.  

I introduced the idea of writing a letter as a readers response today.  From a character to a character.  To a character from you.  From the character to you.  All sorts of options.  One 2nd grader asked, "Can I write a letter to the author?"

"What do you want to say to the author? What would be the purpose of your letter?"

"I would tell her what I learned from reading the book."

"Yes, that would be a great readers response."

So, tonight, I search for my purpose.  I don't want to "phone it in."  I want my commitment to participate in the 2017 Slice of Life challenge to have meaning - to me mostly. Even though I am struggling, at times, to think of something meaningful to say, I keep going. Because sometimes the purpose it just that - - to keep going until you discover it.  Or it discovers you.


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for the opportunity to share this slice of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there. Even the veteran Slicers are starting to lag. You'll feel good when you finally cross the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all starting to lag! I still have to slice tonight and I wrote a "Currently" slice last night, because I was too tired to do anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post could have been written by me in previous years. Somehow, this year, has been different; I have been doing this challenge for several years. This year, my writing flowed. It wasn't always my best writing, but it was writing I needed to do, just like this post for you. I hope you stayed with the challenge and found your purpose.

    ReplyDelete