Thursday, March 2, 2017

A Simple Question Brings on a Major Revelation

Last December, my oldest brother was in town, visiting.  My husband and I picked him up from the airport. As we were driving to our mom's house, conversation flowed.  We had a lot to catch up on.....news from California and his family, news here with ours.

Suddenly John turned to me and asked, "How's your new job?  Do you like it?"

I must have paused for a brief moment, because Rod, my husband, jumped in. "She absolutely loves it."  And I realized I did.  I hadn't really thought about it, but I was happy and it took someone else to notice.

I was still working hard. I was still faced with regular challenges (that is one thing that makes me happy!).  But I was HAPPY.

I have pondered that brief moment these past few months.  Why didn't I realize the difference?  What does Rod see?  How often does our happiness just get absorbed into life?  What is "happy"?  Is happiness elusive or do we just not notice it?

I can now state specific things that make me happy...my teams, my position, the students I work with, the freedom I teach with. But those are just things. I have come to realize that what is truly making me happy is acceptance.  I am allowed to be me.  

There is a certain freedom and peacefulness that comes from acceptance....I am valued and respected.  I trust and respect my teams and they trust and respect me. 

And here's the thing -

Mutual trust and respect breeds creativity and innovation because there is no fear....no fear of ridicule or embarrassment. No fear of retribution or conflict. 

And for that I am thankful.


Thank you to Two Writing Teachers for the opportunity to share a Slice of my Life.


5 comments:

  1. Being happy is a joy! Recognizing it makes it even sweeter! How wonderful to be in the moment and feel what you really feel. Hopefully people around you will start to do the same.

    https://tammysreadinglife.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you bring us to the realization, just like you!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you have found the perfect job! I love these lines, "
    Mutual trust and respect breeds creativity and innovation because there is no fear....no fear of ridicule or embarrassment. No fear of retribution or conflict." Some big truth here, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pure JOY in this post and so much happiness in my heart for YOU and your future. I so love this . . .

    "Mutual trust and respect breeds creativity and innovation because there is no fear....no fear of ridicule or embarrassment. No fear of retribution or conflict."

    May we all be so lucky to find our perfect job! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is funny how when you are caught up in the day to day you may not do a status check and realize you are happier. I am glad you are happy in your new job!

    ReplyDelete