Friday, March 17, 2017

TC Bound





There are a few places in my world that, now matter what, bring me great joy...my home and the homes of my children.  The beach.  Those are probably my top choices.  But, coming up pretty close behind, is a visit to Teachers College at Columbia University in NYC.

I first came to TC a number of years ago, for a reunion weekend with some co-workers.  It was a phenomenal experience and really changed me.  I have a better understanding of what literacy instruction can be.

I have since attended three Reading Institutes. I come to at least one, if not both, reunion weekends each year.

This year, when hemming and hawing if I should come again - mostly because of everything that is going on in with various family members, my husband asked, "Do you always get something out of your time there?"

"Yes!" I responded without hesitation.

"Can you afford the trip?"

"Yes, I can."

"Then why wouldn't you go?"

I had never thought of it quite that way.  I love coming to TC.  I learn so much.  I meet people with like minds.  I reconnect with friends I have made at various institutes and reunions.  I become re-energized.  I have no reason not to come, and many reasons to come.

Previously, when coming to TC, I was double excited because I was able to visit my son, Stephen.  He attended NYU and then, after graduation, stayed in NY.  I stayed with him, wherever he happened to be living, each time. Later, I stayed with him and his wife.  That was an added bonus to each visit.

Stephen and Julia now live in Chicago. I wondered, at first, if my desire to come to TC would diminish because they were not here. But, happily, I have found that it has not.  I am still excited to be here and learn tomorrow.  I have already perused the offerings and made a noted a few of my favorite choices - - we all know some decisions are based on proximity.

There are many kinds of joy.  Learning at Teachers College is one of the joys of my life that I am happy to be able to relive many times over.


Thank you Two Writing Teachers
 for offering this opportunity to share a slice of my life.

5 comments:

  1. Phyllis,
    ENJOY! Learn lots! It will be like spring awakening that excitement for learning/revisiting literacy!
    <3
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I went to my first writing institute last summer and have my fingers crossed to attend advanced writing and beginning reading this summer. I KNOW you will get so much out of your day and hope to learn vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more, Phyllis. Being at TC with so many kindred spirits is joyful! Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to learn at Teacher's College! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky to be able to participate. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete